Monday 7 June 2021

Final woodwork tasks - Part 6

There are a couple of major woodworking bits to finish off, I need to route a slot in the top for the perspex bezel then cut a slot round the perimeters that require T-Moulding to be installed and finally cut holes in the side for pinball flipper buttons and speakers.  I started by routing a slot for the bezel which was simple and quick.

Next I set up my router table to cut the T-Moulding slots.  It took a long time to set up (as I hadn't used it for a long time!).  The important thing, after safety, was to keep the piece flat and square on the table which was easy to do on the smaller pieces but not so easy with the sides.  In hindsight I should have set the table up to apply pressure on the piece to hold it flat against the table.

The actual routing didn't take long at all and I was quite happy with the results although I later found out that I was not completely central in some areas as the sides were not always flat on the table bed.

I had originally planned to have the speakers mounted on the bezel either side of the top marquee monitor, however as I couldn't use the laser cutter at work because the perspex was too large, I decided to mount them in the side panels instead.  I used a hole cutting bit to cut out the two holes as well as adding a button hole each side for 2 extra buttons to be used a pinball flippers.

Next I have to decide how I am going to finish the cabinet and as much as I love the natural wooden look I don't think it is really what I want to achieve...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any comments or questions please leave them below