Wednesday 9 June 2021

3D printed bits - Part 8

There are several components that I needed to make bespoke.  I needed something to hold the bezel perspex in place, a backplate to hold the amp circuit and some adjustable brackets to hold the monitor brackets in place.  I had not done anything like this before however CAD software is installed on the PCs I support at work so I have some familiarity. I have an XYZ 3D printer at home and managed to use the software that came with the printer to create a backplate to hold the amplifier board before moving onto TinkerCAD which is free and runs in a browser to create the other parts.

TinkerCAD is very easy to use as it's just a case of grouping simple geometric shapes together such as cubes and cylinders as either solid shapes or holes.  The perspex brackets were very simple and designed on the modesty blocks I have been using to secure the pieces together consisting of a channel to hold the perspex and 2 holes to accommodate screws.

Next I designed and printed 4 adjustable brackets for the monitor mounts.  I wanted something I could rotate so the face of the monitors could be positioned parallel to the perspex bezel.  They were a little more complicated to build in TinkerCAD however the same principles applied in adding and subtracting simple shapes.

The amp bracket was a little more complicated however I took measurements from the original speakers and transferred the dimensions into the the CAD program.  The first print came out slightly off and one of the corners didn't print correct but I refined the design and the second print came out perfectly.


The panel on the right is labeled 'Pi' and I intend to host a switch to allow me to safely shutdown the host computer... yes, a Raspberry Pi

All in all I'm really happy with the parts I designed and printed.  I might have taken a little artistic licence on the monitor brackets by adding my surname to them!

I'm getting close to putting this all together now, very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any comments or questions please leave them below